The Calgary TELUS Convention Centre is looking to hire a full-time Building Operator in the Facility Operations Division. Reporting to the Senior Engineer, the Building Operator is involved in the operation and maintenance of the utility plants and buildings serving the Calgary TELUS Convention Centre, retail space, parkade and the Glenbow Museum. Overall responsibilities include maintaining low level access functions on building management systems (i.e., temperature settings, time of day scheduling, equipment operation and alarm status monitoring), monitoring and maintaining proper water treatment of all open and closed systems, and providing excellent customer service to clients, guests, and staff in a timely and professional manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enter into log sheets data arising from functional checks of mechanical, electrical and HVAC systems in the Convention Centre, Glenbow Museum and the CTCC mechanical rooms and report any data outside of normal operating parameters.
- Perform equipment checks in all areas within the span of control, adjusting where required to maintain parameters.
- Maintain and operate the building automation system.
- Conduct water analysis, correct any abnormal variations through treatment and report same.
- Perform chemical testing of boiler and chiller water condensate and water softener. Batch chemicals and add as required.
- Take monthly inventory of chemical and lighting stocks and order stocks to replenish supply.
- Perform water meter checks.
- Perform preventative maintenance and repairs of equipment including complete teardown and inspection of all boilers, chillers, fan units, unit heaters and alarm systems in the entire complex on a regular basis.
- Perform drain treatment in washrooms on a regular basis.
- Assist external contractors as required, ensuring that the Convention Centre and Glenbow Museum standards, and policies and procedures are met.
- Backup humidity files for the Glenbow Museum and power meter consumption files for the Convention Centre.
- Perform housekeeping and painting tasks in the engineering and mechanical areas as required.
- Assist the Electrician with tradeshow booth setup (i.e., delivery and setup of electrical cords and panels, removing and ensuring proper storage of same, installing water and compressed air and disconnecting same).
- Repair and maintain kitchen equipment (i.e., stoves, dishwashers, steamers etc.) in the Convention Centre banquet kitchen and bakery.
- Assist the Electrician with any repairs of the electrical system.
- Perform shutdown of utilities and emergency equipment services as required.
- Respond to any plumbing concerns and perform the necessary repairs.
- Maintain sprinklers and fire alarm monitoring systems.
- Ensure elevators and escalators are repaired and maintained.
- Conduct regular lighting maintenance.
- Maintain air circulation systems and filters.
- Pickup department deliveries from the loading dock.
- Respond to service calls and assist other departments when required.
- Availability to work shift work, weekends and holidays and perform on-call services on a rotating basis.
- Work flexible and overtime hours as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Related Skills
- Excellent Communication (oral and written), interpersonal and problem-solving skills with a mechanical aptitude.
- Customer service focused with the ability to work and perform independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to maintain a good working relationship with other buildings sharing equipment and services.
- Ability to work and communicate with in-house partners, clients, contractors, and staff and handle multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working as a Building Operator.
- Knowledge and experience in the operation of building management systems.
- A thorough understanding of mechanical and electrical systems, including pumps, motors, boilers, chillers, cooling towers and air handling equipment.
- Experience with the Powers 600 System would be a definite asset.
- Ability to read blueprints and do basic design and layout.
- Knowledge, experience and certification of fork and scissor lift operations would be an asset.
- Knowledge and ability to operate forklift and aerial work platforms, and related maintenance equipment.
- Knowledge of GHS, occupational health and safety regulations, rigging and hoisting requirements and guidelines to working with hazardous materials (i.e., asbestos, workshop solvents).
- Microsoft Office.
- EBMS Operating system.
- First aid, CPR, AED Certification.
- Must possess a valid Province of Alberta Power Engineer 4th Class Certificate of Competency or higher.
- Physically fit to have the ability to lift heavy weight.
- Comfortable working with heights.
- To be able to discern colors.
Core Company Success Traits
The Calgary TELUS Convention Centre:
- Is Calgary’s meeting place, bringing the community together in a central hub to connect, learn, innovate, celebrate, support, and grow.
- Connects Calgary with the global community; leveraging our assets to create opportunities that impact the lives of Calgarians and Canadians.
- Takes pride in our city and in delivering Calgary’s message of hospitality, prosperity, and enlightened growth to countless visitors.
- Is honoured to promote Calgary to the world and to host hundreds of events each year.
- Is responsible for promoting Calgary by working with partners to build Calgary’s reputation as the destination of choice.
- Is committed to providing a productive, comfortable, sustainable environment to our guests and employees.
The Convention Centre offers a comprehensive salary and benefits program, flexible spending account, employee assistance program, and pension plan.
Individuals interested in applying for this position can submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by September 20, 2021.