At the Calgary TELUS Convention Centre (CTCC), we work hard to create memorable experiences that exceed the expectations of our clients. Our driven, efficient, and caring team helps create personalized and professional events all ways.
The Calgary TELUS Convention Centre is currently looking to fill casual positions of Security Services Agent. Reporting to the Manager, Security Services, the Security Services Agent is responsible for maintaining the security and safety of people and property within and surrounding the CTCC, +15 connections, and for providing ancillary business and customer services to other staff members, clients, and the public.
The mandate of Security Services is to deliver professional and results-oriented security services to the CTCC business units, visitors, and clients, including, but not limited to, life safety, and emergency response.
Due to the dynamic nature of this position, a high level of critical-thinking skills is required to meet the standards of this position and adequately perform situational risk and event-related assessments, interact with a variety of clientele, and implement sound judgment in situations requiring the use of discretion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under guidance and direction from the Manager, Security Services, perform security operations for the CTCC while functioning ethically, efficiently, effectively and with utmost professionalism.
- Monitor, investigate, patrol, and protect persons and/or property for the purpose of deterring or detecting loss for persons, property or premises under care and control of the CTCC.
- Perform investigations pertaining to, but not limited to, loss of or damage to property, premises, and/or persons under the care and control of the CTCC.
- While operating within legal authority and the policies/procedures of the CTCC, conduct searches of person(s), personal property or premises for the purpose of protection or loss prevention.
- While operating within legal authority and the policies/procedures of the CTCC, utilize authorized methods of physical subject control, arrest, and defensive tactics to remove or restrain individuals demonstrating criminal conduct or active damage to property, premises, and/or persons under the care and control of the CTCC.
- Comply with legislation governing security and investigative services as defined in the Security Services and Investigators Act, the Security Services and Investigators Regulations and the Security Services and Investigators Act Ministerial Regulations; including but not limited to maintaining license status, training qualifications, authorized equipment, reporting requirements, complaint processes and Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate an understanding of customer requirements and provide outstanding quality of service in accordance with company and industry standards.
- Complete assigned duties in accordance with internal policies and procedures.
- Facilitate response to emergency operations and incident response, including assuming the role of Incident Commander in a traditional Incident Command System setting.
- Establish and maintain relations with external agencies including neighbouring properties, local law enforcement and municipal agencies.
- Maintain access control by managing access control systems, including but not limited to creating, issuing, and tracking instruments of access control (cards, locks, keys).
- Coordinate and complete event-related security requests and work orders as required.
- Facilitate and coordinate third-party contracted security services, medical services and pay duty officer requirements as required.
- Monitor alarms systems, access control, and surveillance systems in accordance with CTCC policies and procedures.
- Complete and maintain records, logs, reports, inventories, and other documentation in compliance with regulatory authorities and CTCC policies and procedures.
- Acquire and maintain adequate certification or training as required.
- Adhere to CTCC and Occupational Health & Safety regulations and performance standards.
- Liaise with clients, contractors, service providers, employees, and other stakeholders.
- Undertake other duties and projects as required.
To be considered for the listed position of Security Services Agent, all applicants must:
- Possess a valid High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Possess and maintain a valid Government of Alberta Security Services license with no restrictions, defined by the Security Services and Investigators Act & Regulations.
- Possess a minimum two (2) years of experience in a security and incident-response related field.
- Possess and maintain training requirements including, but not limited to, the following:
- First Aid (Standard Level C with AED or equivalent).
- Alberta Basic Security Training or equivalent.
- Meet the physical requirements of the position including, but not limited to, the following:
- Lifting objects of up to 50lbs
- Utilizing authorized subject control and defensive tactics
- Completing walking patrols up to a minimum of 10km per shift
- Consistent typing, monitor usage, and general computer-work
- Maintain a strong sense of personal integrity, confidentiality, and consistent work ethic.
- Work well under pressure with the ability to multi-task and manage time effectively.
- Possess average technological skills and knowledge including, but not limited to, the following:
- Windows 10 OS
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Display an exceptional level of excellence, professionalism, and pride in customer service.
- Maintain strong interpersonal, conflict resolution, and verbal/written communication skills
- Possess an aptitude for critical-thinking, resourcefulness, and troubleshooting.
- Be able to work in a team environment and/or independently as required.
- Be able to work rotating shift work including nights, weekends and holidays as required.
- Post-secondary (degree, diploma, or certificate) in a related field.
- Solicitor General certified use-of-force training (HFRG or equivalent).
- Incident Command System (ICS) training (100 or 200)
- Verbal de-escalation and/or tactical communications training.
- Working knowledge of OH&S regulations and risk assessment analysis.
- Experience in a hospitality and/or high-level customer service environment.
- Previous experience or knowledge of access control, CCTV, and report writing systems.
- Previous experience with building life safety systems.
Health and safety are the top priorities at the Convention Centre. The organization is committed to doing all that we can to protect our employees, clients, and community in a time of global pandemic. In collaboration with clients and industry stakeholders, the Convention Centre has implemented best practices to improve safety and cleaning protocols, which includes enhanced hygiene and physical distancing measures. The management team continues to monitor new developments and align all procedures with updated recommendations from local and provincial health authorities.
Individuals interested in applying for this position can submit a resume and a cover letter – indicating why you would like to join the CTCC team – to email@example.com by December
**Our organization is operating under the Restrictions Exemption Program**
The Calgary TELUS Convention Centre is committed to protecting employees and others from hazards in the workplace, including infectious and vaccine preventable diseases and to maintaining a protected workforce. Please note that the CTCC Human Resources Department will request proof of COVID-19 full vaccination status as a part of the company’s corporate policy.